Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Amanda Egan
    Participant

I won’t go into figures but suffice it to say that, as a result of Amazon constantly moving the goalposts, my earnings with them have taken a steep dive in recent years despite my continuing to release new novels.

Everything was fine to begin with, when writers got paid for the number of pages read. But someone always tries to get around the system, so suddenly some started publishing their books in bigger fonts in order to get the reader to turn pages more quickly. In response, Amazon introduced optimum font sizes but there have been subsequent abuses of each new measure to try to level the playing field.

One of the biggest obstacles to directing romance/romcom readers to our books is Amazon’s woefully inadequate classification system, where amateur erotica sits incongruously next to legitimate romance novels. Amazon don’t even have anything as straightforward as a ‘chicklit’ category when writers upload their books – surely one of the biggest markets out there, with heavily promoted women’s fiction writers like Jill Mansell, Marian Keyes and Sophie Kinsella?

In terms of earnings, we keep taking a smaller cut of the Kindle Unlimited subscription pool because, while it remains relatively static, our share keeps getting diluted by more and more sub-standard books being uploaded. Which in turn impacts the confidence of readers looking for a good read in romantic categories.

What are your thoughts on how Amazon are rewarding (or not!) you?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 Romantic Novelists' Association | Privacy Statement

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Forgot your details?